Skip to main content

Countdown

Week 1 of my training programme for the London Marathon began on the 23rd December 2014. After 15 weeks of running covering almost 500 miles over 62 different training runs, there are just three short runs and a few days left until race day. The Countdown Clock is definitely into its final dramatic moments. There is even a countdown clock on the London Marathon website... as I write, there are 4 days, 22 hours, 44 minutes and 3 seconds until the official mass start at 10am on Sunday 13th April. How long now?



Round 1 (Letters): XENPVQRES

The NERVES are beginning to gather, not just for me but my support crew too. Mr T is anxiously planning how to get from mile 9 to mile 15 then mile 25 without missing me on the route. I'm anxiously contemplating what I'm going to wear, how many gels I should carry, what time I should leave the hotel, what I should have for breakfast and many other issues I have already resolved... my kit is packed, my breakfast plans are already sorted. It  doesn't matter though... I'm still thinking about them. I need to ignore the randomness of my marathon week dreams, particularly the one about getting my tray of cauliflowers to the startline. I need to keep calm.

Round 2 (Letters): LTOAWYEGS

I'm second guessing myself and my training and setting and re-setting my race GOALS, which I actually set back in December and they haven't changed since. My target is to complete the race in under 4 hours - that would be 8 minutes faster than my first marathon in Manchester and entirely consistent with my training times and recent race results. Sometimes I think I can go quicker... what if I just aim for this time at halfway or try and complete the first 10k in so many minutes. Sometimes, I'm convinced I will be much slower, especially if the weather doesn't play fair.

Round 3 (Numbers): 5, 5, 1, 9, 2, 3 - Target 240

If I run at an average pace of 9 minutes per mile, I should get to mile 5*5+1=26 in 234 minutes. That leaves me 2*3=6 minutes for the last 0.2 miles of the marathon or 10 seconds per mile over the whole race to achieve that target of 4 hours or 240 minutes. It's simple really, all I need to do is stick the plan.

Round 4 (Letters): EILEXBPVE

Instead of worrying, I need to trust in my training and BELIEVE in myself. I need to be inspired by the amazing achievements of my running friends at the Greater Manchester Marathon last Sunday. It was strange to watch on from the sidelines rather than take part in the race, but it brought back great memories of last year's race. On that "One Fine Day", I had a plan and I stuck to it. I need to believe that I can do it again.

Round 5 (Letters): TROYPPAUS

Devoting my taper time to card making has been a great distraction and also given my fundraising a new impetus too. I've added at least another £100 to my total this week with donations, card sales and my sweepstake. Every penny donated will go to help Cancer Research UK fund more research and make more progress in the fight against cancer. I'm inspired by words of encouragement from friends and family and know that many people will be cheering me on in person or tracking my progress on the computer when the race starts. I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone for their SUPPPORT. When the going gets tough on Sunday, that will really help me to keep putting one foot in front of the other as fast as I can.

Round 6 (Conundrum): ALEMEROMB

Whatever happens with my race strategy or my goals, my primary aim for this Sunday is that it will be MEMORABLE. This could be the first of many London Marathons or the only one I ever do, so I'd like to ensure that I enjoy the experience and take in as much as possible. I want to be inspired by the crowds on Tower Bridge. I want to take in the sights of London. I want to see the person dressed as a hippopotamus (and hopefully not be out-sprinted by them). I don't want to miss anything. Sometimes, running to achieve a goal means you forget to take in what is happening around you. I really hope I can avoid that on Sunday.

The clock has ticked round a little bit more... bring on race day, I'm ready.

Happy Running

Liz T


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B