Skip to main content

A Good Year

So it's almost the end of 2013 and a time for reflection of what I've achieved in the last year and also for looking forward, setting new goals for 2014. It's certainly been an up-and-down year - I've turned 40 (hopefully without falling apart), we've lost some very special family members and friends and work has been challenging, busy and uncertain for me (and Mr T). Running has certainly been a big part of my life in 2013 - the word cloud below shows what I've been talking about on Facebook and the biggest word is definitely running:
My year in words on Facebook: "club time mile running lots faster"
But running has been much more than going outside and putting one foot in front of the other. It has been a distraction from the bigger issues, an outlet for stress at work, a fantastic way of spending time with friends and more recently my husband too, a great excuse for a weekend away, a way of challenging myself to face some fears, a route to achieving the impossible, inspiration for creativity, the justification for some very large meals and goodness-knows how many cakes and chocolate bars, a celebration of sporting success, the gateway to many new friendships, the opportunity to give back to my local community and so much more too.

I've looked back at my blog posts, my Garmin downloads and my running spreadsheet (where I record every run) and picked out a special moment for each month - a race, a training run, even a rest day - to track my highlights of 2013:
  • January - the first month of 2013 was all about the weather and I got to try snow-running. My favourite run of the month was a lunchtime run on Monday 13th and involved making crazy patterns in the snow in Hanley Park, the place where I've probably run more than anyone else in 2013. I experienced the joy of running in the outdoors - not mile markers or km split times - and loved it.
  • February - my first race in the North Staffs Road Runners at Alsager when I learnt the importance of the W on my back and realised, somewhat belatedly, that I could be competitive in Group W. This was my first "win" as a runner and I enjoyed that feeling.
  • March - a road trip to Ashby-de-la-Zouch with training partners Liz and Bobbie on March 17th for the Ashby 20. The race had everything - hills, snow, fantastic marshals, a hoodie in the goodie bag, post-race cake and the toughest finish across a muddy field - but it was a great day out and it was the boost I needed to convince me to sign up to the Greater Manchester Marathon (see April). I even had my race review published in the organising club's newsletter (see pages 21 and 22).
  • April - the month in which I became a marathon runner, probably my proudest and most unexpected sporting achievement and proof that you can achieve the impossible if you make a plan and stick to it. Two and a half years after starting out on my lose-weight-get-fit journey, I was fit enough and strong enough to deliver my marathon goals on Sunday 28th. It still makes me smile (and occasionally tear up) every time I think about it or look at the medal - proudly displayed right next to my desk for instant inspiration.
Liz Tideswell - Marathon Runner... 
  • May - a tough month for us a family as we said goodbye to Jon's mum. I took part in the Bupa Great Manchester Run on Sunday 26th in her memory, running proudly in my Cancer Research vest. The support from the crowd in recognition of all the runners fundraising for charity was a big part of what made the day such a memorable one... and we did also bump into Heile Gebreselaisse.
  • June - after completing my 50th parkrun in April and proudly wearing my 50 club t-shirt ever since, June saw me take on new responsibilities at Hanley parkrun, after we said farewell to the event originator Tommy Hill with his last event as Run Director on Saturday 29th. Tommy challenged us to run a PB for his final run in charge - I didn't quite manage it that day but 31 others did. I'm now sharing the role of event director and still loving parkrun.
Joining the 50 club with Graham and new co-event director Bryn
  • July - following in the footsteps of Usain Bolt, Mo Farah and Jess Ennis has to be high point of my summer as I took part in the Back to Stadium Run in the London 2012 Olympic Stadium on Sunday 21st. The hair-standing-up-on-the-back-of-my-neck moment as we emerged from the tunnels into the Stadium was something I'll never forget.
  • August -  a training run with Liz to Westport Lake and back. Not fast and not far, but a great way to spend the afternoon of Saturday 24th, catching up, making plans, being outside in the sunshine. Running with the pink ladies of Potters Trotters has certainly helped me in all my running achievements of 2013.
Running Buddies - Liz and Bobbie and Liz at parkrun.
Racing is fun, but running with friends is better!
  • September - my Mary Poppins moment at the St Thomas 7 on Sunday 22nd - practically perfect in every way. After struggling through much of the summer with fatigue and a dodgy calf, this was the race where everything seemed to click back into place again. I smiled most of the way round and was strong right to the finish. 
  • October - this was a really busy month of running but my highlight came on Saturday 30th at Stafford Common. Last year, this had been my nightmare in the cross country - tears, panic, fear, mud and lost shoes. Returning was all about facing my fears... could I do this? Yes I could - and this time I actually enjoyed myself. I learnt to be brave and just run - thanks to everyone who helped me through it. 
The Potters Trotters at Cross Country...
proud to have a team at every race for the first time!
  • November - over the last few months, Mr T has been working his way through the Couch to 5k programme and on Thursday 14th, we went for a run together before going out for a meal to celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary. How times have changed! A few days later, Jon completed his first  parkrun (running on Doctor Who Day in memory of my Grandad) and it was my turn to be his cheerleader.
  • December - As I got to the end of 2013 and began to think about my training for the London Marathon in April 2014, I felt tired and didn't quite have the energy for running - I blame all those Go-vember miles. So I took a break - I ran just twice in the first 9 days of December. My rest day on Friday 6th was particularly enjoyable - a lovely meal at Miller and Carter... and I had starter, main course and pudding! Don't tell me to feel guilty about it... because I don't. Rest is good. It has also given me time to re-design and re-invigorate my blog - I hope you like the new look.
So that was 2013... a good year for my running even if life was a challenge. But what next... here are some running goals to get me started for the first few months of 2014:
  1. A new half marathon PB - to break 1:50 is my next challenge and my first race of 2014 will be the Central Lancs Half on 5th January;
  2. To see Hanley parkrun continue to be successful when we launch the new course on 4th January - welcoming new runners, encouraging existing ones, more volunteers, lots of cake of course and our first member of the 100 club;
  3. To race in another country... not sure where yet, but I'm sure inspiration will come;
  4. To run with Mr T at least once a week (until the cricket season starts anyway); and
  5. To enjoy every moment of the 2014 Virgin Money London Marathon - I'll aim for 4 hours but I'll be happier if I'm smiling at the finish on the Mall.
Marathon training starts officially on 23rd December... 16 weeks to get me ready for London. Hello 2014, I think I'm ready for you. I'm sure there'll be plenty of interesting stories to share along the way... 

Happy Running!

LizT

Comments

  1. Great blog post as always Liz, it has been a great year and you should feel really proud. Hope you and Mr T have a great Christmas and very best wishes for 2014 and all your goals and dreams become reality. Kx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B