Skip to main content

Tales of the Unexpected

Over the last few weeks, I've been building up to the challenge of running 10k laps as part of a team for the London Enduro organised by running / blogging passionistas at Write This Run. I've practised off-road, hilly and multiple runs and as I wrote in my last blog post, I was as ready as I was ever going to be to take on this new challenge.

But what should I expect from my first experience of an endurance event?

A three hour journey to Wimbledon Common on Saturday afternoon gave me lots of opportunity to ponder the question. There were a few negatives buzzing around in my end... The usual pre-race nerves were being intensified by all the unknowns - the location, terrain, night time running and of course my team mates were all new. But there was lots of excitement too... I was a grown up big kid setting off on a new adventure! But would I actually be able to do this?

I arrived at the start area for the London Enduro just as the afternoon 10k and half marathon races were getting underway. I quickly met up with Liz and Laura from Write This Run, who made me feel instantly welcome, and Simon Lamb who would be tackling the event as a solo runner. The other team members arrived over the next couple of hours: Lenka, Polly, Josie and Hannah (who stepped in at the last minute to replace a poorly Katie). Time passed quickly as we sorted out kit, agreed our running order, attended the pre-race briefing and, obviously, posed for team photos!

Team Write This Run: Liz, Lenka, Polly, Simon, Josie and Hannah (Back)
Laura and Liz from Write This Row (Front)

Pinning on numbers, sorting out head torches, saying hello!

Very soon it was time for me to get ready to run - first lesson learned was that it is very tricky to get changed quickly into running gear in a small tent - as I had volunteered to be the lead off runner. After high 5s from the team, I lined up on the startline with approximately 60 runners - 40 solo runners and twenty teams - and was off. The first km was over a grass playing field before the course entered the woods.

Elevation - that's the hills!
Course Map - left, left, left,
right, right, left....
I had expected the course terrain to be varied but I hadn't expected how hard I needed to concentrate on going the right way and not tripping up, running into something or getting stuck in thick mud all at the same time. There were lots of changes of directions, smaller off-shoots to the main path, switchbacks and cut throughs. There were gravel paths, grassy banks and muddy riverside trails. I was lucky on my first lap that there were usually 2 or 3 runners in my sight - as the night went on, the runners became more and more spread out.

It would have been easy to feel like a didn't belong, this was an endurance event after all. Most of the people taking part were seasoned ultra runners. Instead, I felt included and part of something special. It didn't matter that there were people who could run faster than me or run more laps than our team. I belonged anyway, one of many runners just doing the best that they could. Most were very encouraging as they passed by on the course or I overtook them.

On that first lap, I tried to get landmarks in my head to help me on my later runs - the fallen tree just after 4k, the golf course, the lake with the water lilies, the Windmill as you reached the highest points on the course (called Heartbreak Hill but not too bad in the end), the stretch where runners are coming in both directions, the riverbank section to finish. The loop was just under 10k with most of the elevation in the middle. It was tough but not impossible and I was really pleased to get round that first lap in 55:30. It was great to see all my team mates lining up at the finish to cheer me over the line for my high 5 and handover to Lenka for lap 2.

My final sprint for the finish!

Lenka completes her first lap!


I was now in recovery mode... Time for a quick change of clothes, a big drink and some food - there was an unexpected but amazing array of snacks in the supply tent and it took a lot of will power on my part not to simply spend the rest of the evening eating Haribo - before settling down in our great spot by the transition area to cheer on the other runners. It was a lovely evening and I knew I could relax and chat with my team mates for at least a couple of hourse before setting off on my next lap.

Polly took over from Lenka, followed by Hannah and then Josie. By the time Josie set off for her first lap, it was just after 9.30pm and darkness was definitely falling and head torches were needed. By the time Josie returned, it was dark, really dark.

The second lap was probably my most terrifying but exhilarating running experience so far. Even with two torches, visibility was very limited once I left the relative comfort of the playing fields and got into the wooded section of the course. It took me a while to work out the best strategy of where to actually aim the torch beams - the ground was uneven and muddy so I wanted to look down all the time but there were branches sticking out here and there too. I'm not sure I ever really cracked it. My brain hurt as much as my lungs and my legs. Sometimes I'd get a bit too confident - thinking my strategy was working, only to get my foot stuck in ankle deep mud and narrowly avoid falling.

I expected to feel scared, especially on the laps in the dark, but I actually felt brave. I kept thinking back to my experiences on Stafford Common less than two years ago, when a muddy bank 10 metres high had me frozen to the spot in fear and ending the race in tears, and realised how far I've come since then. I was running through the woods on my own (apart from the very occasional sighting of another competitor) and I found it exhilarating. At various points, the course opened up and there was a bit more light. Running by the lake in the moonlight was simply breathtaking. The hills up by the Windmill actually seemed easier in the dark.

It was hard and I still had moments of panic, especially when I couldn't quite work out the route and decided to wait for another runner to come by rather than continue in the wrong direction, but it was an adrenaline rush too. When I was selected to be part of the team, I really wasn't sure whether I would enjoy the experience or endure it. Turns out, I loved it. 
Dark, properly dark...
watching for the lights of the next runner

Coming in to the finish of lap 2









Lap 2 completed. Before the event, I had worried about being asleep when I should be running my next lap. Instead, the time between laps was brilliant fun, probably helped by the endless supply of sugary drinks. As a team, we positioned ourselves just by the transition area and cheered on every runner as they completed their laps. The time passed really quickly as we chatted and shared running stories. At the start, we could watch the runners coming across the field; by the time darkness fell, all we could see was little lights in the distance. We experienced head torch envy and marvelled at those runners who seemed to run without a torch at all.

We were all running more slowly for those darkness laps but all the team came back saying the same thing... the fear factor was outweighed by the exhilaration factor. We were actually doing this. I did have a little lie-down at about 2am - not sleeping but wrapping myself up in my sleeping blanket to keep warm, wishing I'd been like Josie and brought my onesie with me.

At 4am, it was time for my third lap and this was probably my favourite one of the event. I knew what to expect in the dark and was out running as the sun was coming up and light was returning. Up by the lake at sunrise was another special moment. My last lap was completed in 60 minutes and in some ways, I was disappointed that the end was in sight now. Lenka, Polly and Hannah set out together to run one more lap altogether, with Josie and I joining them for the last section across the playing field. The least unexpected part of London Enduro was how much I enjoyed being part of team... it was great to support each other, learn from each other and to meet some awesome and inspiring people. It was great to finish as a team and we celebrated as we crossed the line!

Solo runner Simon had completed 7 laps (and encountered badgers apparently) and as a team, we'd completed 12. We weren't the fastest and we hadn't run the furthest but that didn't matter at all. We'd done it and all absolutely loved it.

Celebration Time - Team Write This Run, Simon and solo runner Kabuki Snyder
What an amazing experience and I'm really grateful to Liz and Laura for the opportunity. It has definitely whetted my appetite for similar team challenges - my team mates have already come up with a few suggestions - and to keep trying off road and trail events. Running in the woods is fun. I celebrated with bacon butties and Haribo for my first breakfast of the day before later tucking into pancakes with blueberries and bananas! Running through the night makes you hungry. After an afternoon nap and more food, bed called and I slept like a log!

And so to answer my original question about what to expect... expect the unexpected, it's fun!

Happy Running

Liz T

PS Photos from Write This Run, Josie Arden, Simon Lamb and Kabuki Snyder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B