Skip to main content

See Girl Run

Why do you run?

That's a question I've been asked a lot over recent weeks and I've had plenty of time to come up with some answers, as I've actually not been running very much at all. Since my last race, the Clayton 10k, the tiredness, aches and twinges that I'd been feeling for a while caught up with me fully and I knew it was time for a rest. So instead of doing lots of running, I've been pondering about why I started running and why I continue to run, even when it hurts. I have managed a few memorable runs in the last couple of weeks though and they get a mention too.

Running = Change

I started running in February 2011 with the Coach to 5k podcasts. I'd been consciously working hard to lose weight and gain fitness after my weight reached an uncomfortable peak in 2010 - a combination of sedentary work-from-home life in my new home, very little exercise and lots of large but tasty dinners prepared with Mr T. Dramatic lifestyle changes were needed and after trying lots of different exercise options, running was the one that stuck. I joined a running club - Potters Trotters - and just kept on running. I made new friends, I visited new places and got to know my new city a little bit better. Change is good.

Running = Challenge

Completing the Marathon
I've always loved a challenge - from finishing the crossword to beating Mr T at "Escape from Colditz". However, my sporting challenges were previously limited to winning a house point at school for high jump and the inter-youth club netball tournament as a teenager. Now, with every run or race I complete, I'm challenging myself to do better, to improve some aspect of my run, or conquer something that seems too hard. It's very rarely about "winning" but instead about improving my or trying something different like the cross country and simply completing a run with two shoes on. In April this year, I took on the challenge of the marathon and loved it - it was something I never thought I'd ever be able to do and I did it!

Running = Competition

The Finish at Westbridge 5
Along with the challenge, there is also the competition. This year, I've joined North Staffs Road Runners and been competing in Group W. Each group comprises runners of similar abilities and there are points on offer for your best 12 races in the season. I'd had a good start - 4 races (Alsager, Newcastle, Uttoxeter and Clayton) and 4 top place finishes in Group W. Yesterday, I took part in my 5th race - the Westbridge 5 - a five mile race including sections on grass, pavements, roads, footpaths and the canal towpath. It was a tricky little course and I struggled a lot more than I'd hoped - my enforced rest of recent weeks seems to have taken the edge of my speed a little bit. Bu I still had a good run - I'm waiting for the final results from NSSRA, but I think I placed second in Group W this time.

My competitive instincts have kicked in again and  I'm ready for my next challenge - the Potters 'Arf next Sunday. Can I beat last year's time? Can I reclaim top spot amongst the Ws? All will be revealed next week.

Running = Cancer Research

My mother in law Pat
For me, running has always been linked with fundraising for Cancer Research. My first event was the Race for Life in 2011. Last year, one of my key motivations for the Stafford Half was to run in support of my friends and family who were battling cancer. Since then, I completed the Greater Manchester Marathon for Cancer Research in memory of my Dad, who lost his battle last summer.

Representing Cancer Research

One of my fundraising champions was my mother-in-law Pat. Just last month, she too lost her battle with cancer and I took part in the Great Manchester Run last Sunday in her memory. It was a special privilege to be part of the Cancer Research team at these two big events. 

Running = parkrun

Without taking up running, I would never have joined the parkrun family and caught the parkrunning bug... parkruns are 5km timed runs that take place in parks up and down the country (and around the world) every Saturday morning. Reaching the milestone of 50 parkruns was a very special achievement for me and I love wearing my 50 t-shirt for parkrun every week. Next weekend will be my 50th parkrun at Hanley and my 57th in total - I've also taken part in parkruns in London, Leeds, Manchester (2 locations), Glasgow, Walsall and Congleton. Saturdays just don't feel right without a parkrun!

Running = Opportunities
Walking up to the start...
with Haile Gebrselassie
At the Great Manchester Run last weekend, I ran in the same race as running legend Haile Gebrselassie - he was a lot quicker than me obviously - but he ran the same route on the same day, warming up on the same streets. We bumped into him as we walked up to the start. As I began the race, I got a "high 5" from Olympic Long Jump champion Greg Rutherford too.

In July, I'm taking part in the National Lottery Anniversary Run - a 5 mile run around Olympic Park and finishing in the Olympic Stadium. If I didn't run, I could only watch these events - now I get to take part and finish my five mile run on the same track as Mo Farah won double Olympic Gold!

The Olympic Stadium - I'll be running here on July 21st!
Running = Community

I love being part of the wider running community - locally, nationally and internationally. There is a community of runners that I never knew existed - people who motivate me by their achievements and attitude and who are happy to share their stories. I follow runners on twitter, read blogs, join in Facebook debates and listen to running podcasts. When the Boston Marathon was attacked by terrorists, the running community came together in defiance and I was proud to be part of it. When I take part in local races, I'm part of that running community too - wearing the pink of Potters Trotters and catching up with friends from other running clubs.

Running = More Cake
Ultimate Hot Chocolate for my
50th parkrun

Now I know if you read all the nutritional advice, running doesn't mean you can eat what you want and not worry about. But if you run 25 miles a week in training (my average for the year), I think you can have guilt-free treats at least once a week, if not two or three. So most of my running achievements are usually celebrated with cake or chocolate - why not?

I look forward to be running again regularly soon and I'm sure I'll come up with many more answers to that question: Why do you run?

Happy Running

LizT


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B