Skip to main content

Pollyanna

During the first half of 2013, I've really enjoyed taking part in races as part of the annual competition by the North Staffs Road Runners Association. There was the first race of the season in Alsager where I learnt about the importance of spotting the other "Ws", two hilly 10k races in Newcastle and Clayton, my accidental half marathon in Uttoxeter. Even the tough races at Westbridge and the Potters 'Arf had moments of enjoyment, where I felt like I was accomplishing something as a runner. And my first season in NSRRA Group W has gone better than I could have hoped - six races, six wins.

Last weekend, it was time for my seventh race - the Stone St Michaels 10k. I didn't wake up on Sunday morning feeling enthusiastic about running - the weather was not inspiring and if I hadn't pre-entered and arranged a lift, I might have been tempted to give it a miss and have an extra couple of hours of sleep. But I did run - two laps round Stone in the rain with the finish over a muddy field too - and picked up my medal at the end.

It would be really easy to focus on the negatives from Sunday - there were many negative thoughts in my head as I ran and I was really hurting by the finish - but sometimes it pays to be like "Pollyanna" and play the "glad game". Like Pollyanna said: "when you're hunting for the glad things, you sort of forget the other kind." So here are 10 reasons why I'm glad I ran the Stone 10k on Sunday... the negatives can be forgotten:

1. I picked up another 50 points for the win in Group W. That gives my competitive self another boost and takes me to seven wins out of seven. Bring on Berryhill 10k on the 2nd July!

2. I ran my first (and fastest) 10k time as a 40 year old, finishing 12th in my age category, and my age-grading was 0.4% higher than it would have been if I'd run the exact same time on the day before my birthday last week. That's a real benefit of getting one year older.

3. I had enough energy at the finish to sprint for the line alongside John from parkrun and stay ahead of another runner who was gaining on me towards the end. But she didn't overtake me this time.

4. There were loads of familiar and friendly races from Potters Trotters and other running clubs and also parkrun to chat with before, during and after the run, continuing well into the afternoon via Facebook and Twitter. This community aspect of running is one of the main reasons why I usually love to run.

5. Being encouraged on my Bobbie as I ran through Stone town centre on the second lap and again as I came round to the finish - she was standing under a tree sheltering from the rain but cheered as loudly and as enthusiastically as ever. I didn't see Bobbie after the race and did wonder whether I'd imagined her on the second lap - delirium from the rain perhaps.

6. Remembering to smile and wave at Bryan Dale on the second lap.


7. The amazing enthusiasm of the marshals - they were out in the worst of the rain but still encouraged me to the finish. A big thank you to everyone who gave up their time on Sunday so the rest of us could run.

8. A really lovely conversation with Jocelyn Payne at the end of the run. She holds the record as the fastest lady on the Hanley parkrun course and was the first lady at both the Potters 'Arf and the Greater Manchester Marathon. She was second on Sunday but celebrating a brand new PB.

9. My post-run chocolate brownie - thanks to Bryn and Julie Holmes for taking pity on my penniless self and shouting me a cake and a cup of tea. A great way to warm up and get a sugar boost - apologies to all those healthy-eating runner types but cake works for me as the ultimate post-race recovery food.

10. A lift to and from the race with Andy M - trading running stories and training ideas for our next races on the journey. Thanks Andy.

Next time you have a tough run, be like Pollyanna and play the glad game. Sometimes it really helps.

Happy Running

Liz T.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, that's a long way!

Race day was finally here.  After a difficult couple of weeks, I woke up on Saturday morning with a certain amount of trepidation after a very restless night's sleep and a couple of weeks of niggles, aches and tiredness. I reminded myself of the three goals I'd set for the race - start with confidence, enjoy the adventure and finish with a smile - and was boosted by some encouraging messages from friends and family. After a quick breakfast and a short bus ride, I arrived in Marlow for the start of the race. I wasn't sure what to expect and actually had no idea how many runners were taking part. My start time was 9.15am and it seemed like there were a couple of hundred of us setting off in the "competitive" wave covering marathon and ultra marathon distances. The ultra marathon route was approximately 33 miles involved an extra loop around Hambledon but we all started off in the same direction. My first race goal was accomplished as I started with

(Not) Sorry!

It has been a while since my last blog. There's been a lot going on. Sometimes life gets in the way of running and writing about running. I'd like to say I'm sorry but this post is all about being not sorry, hopefully not in a selfish "I don't care if I upset you" kind of way but instead with a spirit of "I've got my motivation and priorities back on track and that's a good thing". I'm not sorry that I've decided to taken a step back from local road racing. Last year, I raced so often between May and September, that races were almost the only running I was doing. I forgot to rest properly and my body took a hit. There was a reason for racing so often: I was chasing points and placings in the NSRRA. Winning my group was a real possibility and points in every race mattered. It would be wrong to say I didn't enjoy it... I loved the competition and the challenge and of course I enjoyed winning... but I realised I wanted this summ

What's Next?

My running career started with the simple goal of completing the Cancer Research Race for Life. My motivation came from my family, to show support for my Dad who was being treated for cancer at the time. I downloaded the NHS Couch to 5k app and ticked off each run on the print-out on my office wall  (it's still pinned up for extra motivation too). I was supported and encouraged by Mr T, sometimes with words, sometimes by running along side me. It was a realistic goal and I had the time to run 3 timers a week; Everything mostly went to plan and I achieved my goal. First Race, First Medal The longer I've been running, the more goals I've set, training to run half marathons, night races, relay events, marathons and eventually ultra marathons. The plans get more complicated (involving spreadsheets and a Garmin) and there have been a few more setbacks on the way, including overcoming injuries, illness and fear itself , but I usually get there in the end. Quote from B